Saturday, August 27, 2011
A movie advertisement that was displayed all over India while I was in India was an ad for a movie titled, Delhi Belly. What Delhi Belly refers to is the common sickness that many travelers get when they travel to this part of the world. If you take a bite of something or drink even one sip of something that has a bacteria in it you are not used to, most travelers end up spending a lot of quality time with their porcelain toilet for at least 24 hours. Delhi Belly is that sickness in your belly that so many foreign travelers can't avoid when they travel to India.
I captured this photograph on our first full day of touring in Delhi. I simply loved that there was a movie out called Delhi Belly and I loved the fact that the tagline for this movie was, "Shit Happens." Perfect. So honest and so true. I couldn't have said it better myself. The irony in this photograph is that I took the picture my second day in India and that the McDonalds was nestled directly below this advertisement. My irony will shortly make sense.
Somehow I went two weeks without any stomach issues. Amazingly my stomach processed all of the usual foods that I was digesting and was good to me. I couldn't imagine if I had to see the Taj Mahal and was running to the bathroom with Delhi Belly every 20 minutes. I would have been miserable. I went two weeks without any huge stomach issues and I decided on our way home in the Delhi airport that it was a good idea to eat McDonalds. I settled for McDonalds after looking at the other options: Dominos pizza, chinese food, and a cafe. To this day I am not 100% sure what triggered my stomach. It could have been the chicken wrap (with no lettuce), the french fries, or the diet coke (no ice) that I ate. Or it could have been every single one of those. 20 minutes later, I had Delhi Belly... And it did not go away for an entire week.
I love that I captured this photograph at the beginning of my trip. It was almost like a premonition or foreshadowing of what was going to soon happen: Delhi Belly from eating McDonalds.