Perfection in Service

Something that I tell almost every individual that I speak to about India was there service. I was blown away by how many individuals there were for a service that I was used to in the United States that only required one individuals. An example of this was any restaurant we ate in, instead of having one waiter for the table, there would be five individuals who would be attentive to my every need. At first, this concept made no sense to me. But as I started looking at how many people there were everywhere, how this country makes up 1/6 of the world's population, I started to grasp why this occurs. Individuals were cheap labor there. In a job where we might here in the West demand minimum wage, there in India, they could offer a low paying amount and find somebody who would do it. If not- well, they would move on to the next individual who would take there job. Labor is cheap in India and for the first time I saw and grasped that.

A beautiful example of this was at the first hotel we stayed at in New Delhi, The Hyatt. This may be one of the nicest hotels I have ever stayed in. Not because of the room size, or comfortable beds, or lovely shower. No, it was the service. Indeed, this was a five star hotel, but I could not believe how incredible the service was. My favorite story to tell is our daily buffet breakfast.

The Hyatt's buffet breakfast is like nothing you could imagine. There was a food there for everyone. If you were from any part of the world, this buffet had something for you, which made it incredibly fun for those individuals who love having variety. My taste buds were in heaven each morning. Add to that the fact that we didn't eat a lunch and weren't served dinner until about 7:30, my mission each morning was simple: eat as much as I could physically eat. With this buffet, that was not even close to a problem.

I decided that the best way to start off my morning was with some eggs. They had some unusual assortments of eggs that had been prepared and I decided to ask for scrambled eggs. "Of course ma'am," was their response. Within a minute, scrambled eggs were delivered to me along with a marsala dosa, which is a traditional thin pancake like southern Indian breakfast item. I could get used to this.

By day three, the same chef would see me walk into the buffet area. Sit down at my table and order my usual marsala tea, and by the time I stood up and walked over to his egg station, he had my unusual request for scrambled eggs ready on a plate for me. I was blown away by that kind of service. Perfection in Service.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Barefoot

Forgetting Paris: Meet Ada & Mateo

Time