Tales from Bunko!

This week I embarked on a game I had never heard of until I moved to Texas. It's a game that takes zero skill, requires multiple glasses of cheap wine, and lots of laughter. It's a game I instantly loved: Bunko. Although, I feel as if the word "Bunko" needs to have an explanation mark after it, which would make it Bunko! Whenever you get three dice of the same three numbers when it's that number's round, you shout Bunko! Exactly why the explanation mark is needed. I learned recently that some people spell it Bunco and others call it Bunko. The real spelling of this? Who will ever know and what different does it make since this game requires wine?

What I do know is that I walked into a room of people and only knew the hostess and I walked out with a smile on my face and a belly full of wine after hours of good conversation. It wasn't my typical Wednesday night. I chipped in my $5 to play, and ended up being the worst player there after 3 rounds of 6 games each round. I won't bore you with the details regarding the rules of Bunko!, but if for some reason you do want to learn (which I highly suggest), and start playing with friends, start with the infamous overview and directions from Wikipedia. I'm hooked. I'm hooked with the fact that each round the only thing of your side is luck. At times I would find myself rolling the dice with two hands versus one – hoping it truly would make a difference when I am rolling three dice. It did not.

I instantly was a hit in this room as I repeatedly kept finding myself at the "losers" table. My justification for drinking more wine in between each turn was the fact that I was losing. After 6 rounds of 3 games, I lost by a landslide. My reward was $15 and a candle. I could get used to winning if it continues to look like this. I sat there after some trickled out from the room and talked with the people around me about traveling, life, work, love, and realized that Bunko! is meant for everyone. Next month we will be at a new house with someone hosting an October themed Bunko!, which I was warned involved a theme of "Boo"nko, which only made me laugh at how incredibly uncreative I am when it comes to party themes. I walked into work the next day with a hangover from wine on an empty stomach but was a happy girl from just three dice and refilling my glass with wine with good company.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Barefoot

Forgetting Paris: Meet Ada & Mateo

Time